A party to a divorce proceeding may request from the court a name change to a prior name in the final divorce decree. Unless the court states in the decree a reason for denying the name change, it is required that it be granted. The court cannot deny a change of name solely to keep the last name of family members the same.

An adult desiring a name change outside of a divorce proceeding (e.g., failing to change at the time of divorce or for any other reason), will need to file a petition for name change in the county of residence. For the name change to be granted, fingerprints must be submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety for a criminal background check. Once that is completed there will be a final hearing. The name change will be granted if the court finds it is in the best interest of the person and the public.

Holly will provide the locations where fingerprint cards can be submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety electronically, greatly reducing the time it normally takes to obtain an order for name change.

A minor child's name change may be granted by a court as a part of an ongoing suit affecting the parent-child relationship or in a separate suit for name change. However, if the child has another parent whose rights have not been terminated, a managing conservator or a guardian, that person is entitled to service of citation of the suit to change and may object to the minor's proposed name change by filing an answer. For the name change to be granted, the court will need to find that the proposed change is in the best interest of the child.


  • Collaborative divorce

  • Traditional divorce

  • Child custody

  • Child support

  • Visitation

  • Grandparent visitation and rights

  • Property division issues

  • Modification and enforcement of court orders

  • Termination of parental rights


  • Post-nuptial partition agreements

  • Premarital and postnuptial agreements 

  • Premarital partition agreements

  • Powers of attorney

  • Wills and estate planning



  • Relocation Litigation


  • Private Adoptions

  • Birth mother representation for adoption

  • Interstate adoptions

  • Foreign re-adoptions

  • Step-parent adoptions

Family Issues

  • Family Violence Protective Orders

  • Minor and adult name changes

​​​© 2018 by Holly Schymik. All rights reserved.

Holly A. Schymik, Attorney, Mediator & Collaborative Lawyer serves divorce, family law and collaborative law clients in Dallas. She serves clients in located in the communities of Lakewood, Highland Park, University Park, Lake Highlands, and White Rock Lake. She also serves clients in such Metroplex communities as Plano, Frisco, Allen, Richardson, Garland, Mesquite, Denton, Flower Mound, Lewisville, Kaufman, Grand Prairie, McKinney, Irving, Fort Worth, Collin County, Henderson County, Rockwall County and Ellis County, Texas.